Marc's Game Blog

Marc's Game Blog
Game Reviews, News, Topics, and more

Where is my shop

\/ \/ STORE \/ \/

You can find my store One Stop Game Stop at the bottom of the page, just click on its logo.
Or just click here >>>>

Xbox 360 vs PS3

Whats better?
Xbox 360 or PS3?
This poll will run for 2 years since im conducting an experiment. YES 2 years. I'll make a report after the 1st year and then see how it changes after the 2nd year. Thx for your input. :D

Whats better? Ps3 or Xbox 360? This poll will stay up 2 years, conducting an experiment :)

Current Watched Game

******************************************/\*Marc's Spotlight*/\*********************************************

Currently on my watchlist

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Games are no longer for gamers..."

Something that has been troubling me the most about the gaming industry lately is how games are getting more and more simple.  Yea your probably thinking "Simple???????  Have you seen how some of these games look?????) Well yes I have, and if that is what ran through your mind at that time you deserve to get hit in the head with my grand dad's shillelagh. (A blunt stick used as a cane, Leprecons anyone??)

What I meant was gameplay, which is to me the most important aspect of any good video game.  I don't want it to easy, I like a healthy challenge, some complex game play mechanics, and for gods sake let go of my hand after the first 20 minutes of gameplay.  Casual gamers are ruining the gaming industry since more and more companys keep trying to streamline games to a point where the most complex feature of the game is, point at the bad guy, shoot, YAY.  Which to me is basically the most popular gaming genre, First Person Shooters.
Don't get me wrong, allot of first person shooters have great storys (The Halo series is the first to come to mind for me.) which is a really important feature too.   And some moments that really get your adrenaline pumping, which is another as well.  But its because of  this simple mechanic and its great popularity is why companys are trying to make games less and less fun to play just so they can milk the much larger casual gamer crowd of as much money as possible instead of making a work of art and creativity that has more meaning that can captivate the gamer.  Worse is when they try to get the game out as soon as possible and end up shipping a buggy, unfinished game

I just hope that company's begin to realize that they are making more consumer trash then actual games and will start to put more work into them like they used too and for gods sake not another Call of Duty (Good games but they are starting to get real shallow, Black Ops disappointed me.  And I know im probably going to get flamed for saying that.)  Yes there are a few good company's out there that DON'T listen to the whines of the casual group and actually make their games fun without the thought of making it for morons or 5 year olds. Obsidian Entertainment be praised for making Fallout: New Vegas with a hardcore mode.  Even the first fallout was decent when it came to difficulty and features.

Now that I have finished my rant I will put in the spotlight on 2 beloved game company's which have been pridelessly dumbing down their games lately.

Bethesda-
I love the elderscrolls series and has played it since Daggerfall and has loved every bit of it.  But oblivion being a beautiful game didn't have nearly as much personality as morrowind and not nearly as much difficulty.  The horrible level-scaling alone was a terrible move and completely did not have that sense of wildness morrowind had, and the fast travel streamlined the game way to much, I loved the exploration aspect of morrowind and having to pay to travel long distances in short amounts of time.  I do love TES 4 Oblivion but sadly that is only after heavily modded.  PLEASE do better with TES: Skyrim Bethesda, you can do better than what you did to Oblivion.

Gas Powered Games
I was very disappointed with SupCom 2.  Since I prided you as being a company that loved complexity has shown that you can fall for the whines casual gamers.  PLEASE do better with your new game Kings and Castles.
http://gaspowered.com/kingsandcastles/  - Just for those who would like to check it out, it might be pretty good by how its starting to look in his video blog. (which is very entertaining to watch by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment